Tuesday, December 18, 2012

UNIT 9 PROJECT......THE FINAL GOOD-BYE



Dear Class~
Best wishes to you and all of your future endeavors!

Introduction
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

            Assuming that a person is serious in their approach and disciplined in their training, I feel that it is very important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically because it enables them to provide the best care possible to their patients and/or clients.  By demonstrating these models, it meets the expectations of the patients/clients and it also exudes loving-kindness, compassion and unity of the heart and mind when interacting with them.  Honestly, development in these areas is an ongoing practice because we are not perfect.  We are infallible humans helping other humans.  The one thing that I stand firm on is that you have to set examples.  In order to help others, you must strengthen yourself daily with prayer and meditation and positive intention.  To flourish successfully, the practitioner and the patient must be in collaboration for a healing partnership.  The practitioner and the patient must come together, be in communication as the individual relates his or her concerns as they come up with an integral health plan.

            The area that I need to develop the most to achieve the goals that I have for myself is psychologically.  This class has really helped me to grow and dig deep into painful darkness in my life.  I previously shared that I lost my mother as a young teen.  I actually witnessed her having a heart attack and never recovering.  For many years, I suppressed my feelings and literally tormented myself by wanting to make everyone my “friend” to fill an empty void of abandonment in my life.  I am glad to announce that this class has helped me to see things more clearly about myself and I am learning to not be dependent on others to make me happy.

Assessment
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?
            Wow….this is a great question and I really never thought about it until now. In assessing my own health domain in these areas, let’s score from 1 (lowest) and 10 (highest).  Let’s start with spiritually, I give myself a 9.  I am a Christian and I have a deep loving relationship with God the Father and Jesus the Christ.  I always thought that religion and spirituality was congruent, but I now realize that they are not. In my opinion, religion is organized and based on traditions, and spirituality is connecting with the mind, body and spirit.  As written in John 4:24, “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."  That is how I live my life—I live my life on having a faith relationship with a higher power and showing loving-kindness every waking moment.
             My score on the physical is about a 7.  I am pretty good shape, but I can do better with my exercise regimen. Currently, I work out approximately 3 times per week. In 2000, I made a complete lifestyle change by adopting a vegetarian/vegan “diet” and being mindful of every morsel that goes into my body. 
            Ok….psychologically…..I give myself (drumroll)…..a 4.  I rate myself low because I continue to deal with issues that I now realize stems from childhood.  It has taken me this long to realize that I really needed help in this area.  I thank goodness for this class because it truly helping me with my own integral health and healing process. I am learning that a relaxed state of mind is very important for mental health.  I believe that relaxed individuals are better able to deal effectively with stressful situations and help with calm-abiding and overall well-being.

Goal Development
List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.
            The goal that I have for my physical well-being is to enhance my exercise program.  There is a fitness center in my area that offers various exercise activities and joining a running club peaks my interest.  I recently received a pamphlet from Kaiser Permanent, and they are offering various classes like yoga and dancercise which I am interested in taking in the New Year.  For my psychological goal, I am going to meditate more and learn how to still my mind better. I do a lot of multi-tasking and I really need to practice more subtle mind and calming techniques. I also plan to re-read our book “Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing.”  This book really helped me to see things within myself that truly is helping me to leave the past behind and grow stronger mentally.  Oh yes.  Most importantly, to help my psychological well-being, I plan to make withdrawals from my inner circle.  I want to surround myself with positive people who have my best interest at heart, and their best interest from my heart.
            Last, but not least, spiritual.  I really cannot think of an actual goal in this area because I am happy with my faith and relationship with my Heavenly Father. I read the bible and uplifting devotionals that satisfies my inner self. I occasionally attend church, watch on-line or on television to get spiritually fed daily.  Prayer is also a very important part of my life. I strive daily to have open communication with God.

Practices for Personal Health
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
            To foster growth in the physical, I will be more disciplined in my exercise routines.  I plan to implement more walking, stomach crunches, and hand weights.  I am a morning person, so I think in the beginning of the year I will rise one hour early before going to work and work OUT!
            To foster growth psychologically, I am going to read our course text book, practice more mental exercises with yoga and meditation.  I am also am not going to allow people, places or things stress me out.  I am going to focus on staying mentally fit and sound.  I may invest in some meditation tapes with beautiful ocean sounds. They say stress ages you………
            To foster growth in my spiritual walk, I am going to continue reading my bible and daily devotionals.  I am also going to continue to inspire others and show love, kindness and respect to others.  My foundation is God and I am in a good place in this area.    

Commitment
How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
            In the next six months I am going to track my progress by being true to myself and love myself first.  As humans, we sometimes do for things for everyone in our lives; children, husbands, boyfriends, co-workers, friends, siblings, etc. and we unintentionally neglect ourselves which is not healthy mentally, physically or spiritually.  I am that person.  I raised two children as a divorced, single mother and I neglected myself in order for them to flourish.  Now that I am an “empty nester”, I can (woooosaaa) take care of me!  Within the next six months, I will continue to study and do well in school.  I will stick with a daily hard core exercise routine so that I can lose some unwanted pounds.  I will continue to stay positive in my life. To lower my stress levels, I will go outside more during lunchtime and enjoy the beautiful nature. I love to journal so I will do more of that as well. I plan to excel in every area of my life and experience true meaning of full human-flourishing.

Peace & blessings always~
Patricia

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patricia, I loved your final post; it is very heartfelt and honest. I too am a devout follower of God and without my faith I would be nothing; I gave myself the highest number for that too. Psychologically I too do not rate very high on the board; I have problems with depression, and I have lost many family members in the last couple of years. I understand how you could be left in pain from being with your mother at a hard time; last fall my stepmother died of cancer at 50, but I got to the hospice 5 minutes too late. I was devastated but knew she was with God and wasn't in anymore pain- another way faith has kept me from ruin. Neglecting ourselves is one of the easiest things to do as women and mothers, but I have found that strength from God and each other can mean so much! :) Without either I would have shriveled a long time ago, lol.

    ReplyDelete