Hi Professor and Class~
Responding to this blog had mixed emotions for me. I am going to answer the questions below to the way that I felt about this exercise.
I enjoyed the soothing sounding image of the waves tossing to and fro in the ocean. I really liked that and it gave me a sense of peace and tranquility. The only benefit that I felt was the positiveness to reflect loving-kindness towards myself and others. I did not find it beneficial to focus on the negative or those who may be suffering. That was a downer for me and focusing on negativity is what I do not want in my life because it is not good for me at all. I did however, think of someone so very close to me who recently transitioned in September. This person was a "big" sister (that I don't have) and she was my #1 fan when I returned to school. Although she is gone, I brought her to my mind because I still hold great love and tenderness in my heart towards her. My "big" sister had lung cancer. Each and everyday I witnessed her strength and courage--going through chemo and taking lots of medication. Although the doctors told her that her "days were numbered", she exuded so much belief and faith in God. I truly admired that.
Going back to the exercise, I really could not recommend this to others because of the focusing of negativity. I am trying to heal from negativity and focusing on it would not be helping myself or others. I make it a point to extend loving-kindness to all that cross my path--that is just who I am and want to be. I am an encourager and make it a point to speak "life" into others. When I extend love to others unconditionally, it allows me to free and to know that my purpose on this earth is to help and be a light to others.
The concept of mental workout is to me is to train the mind towards healthiness and well-being. For instance, when we do a physical workout, we are either doing some type of physical activity like running, jogging, weight lifting, proper diet and nutrition. This makes the body strong and functional. With the mind, I believe we have to train it in the same way, but use techniques like prayer, meditation, reading, crossword puzzles and thinking positive thoughts. Please know that I am quite aware that life is not "peaches and cream". However, dwelling on the negative is not healthy and focusing on negative people is not healthy. I plan to take care of myself physically, mentally and spiritually. I have too much life and love to give :0).
Hey Patricia, sounds to me like you are an exhorter. I'm so sorry to hear about your Big Sis. I'm sure she will be there with you to celebrate that paper and is present with you more than you know. I was not able to get to the point of including all on a deep level as of yet. I hope to become more and more in touch with this loving-kindness toward all.
ReplyDeleteHey, CCC Experience! Thanks for stopping by last week. I have been so busy with school work, that I forgot to post back at ya :). I had to look up the work exhorter. I thought that was a "fighting" work (lol). Thank you for that observation. I researched that exhortation is a motivational gift. I can't tell you which website I found the information, but it explains the characteristics of an exhorter. I will always remember that you were the one who enlighten me and made me aware of my spiritual gift. Thank you very much!
DeletePeace and blessings always~
Patricia
Hello Patricia,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Focusing on the negativity (suffering mostly), actually helped me out a bit in dealing with my mom's passing from breast cancer a few years back. It's difficult to lose someone to cancer. If we are able to focus on negativity, bring it to the forefront, and simply breath it away and it works...great. If not, then I would not recommend it.
Coach Andrews