Monday, November 19, 2012

Loving-Kindness Vs. The Subtle-Mind

Greetings Everyone!

In my wonderful opinion, the contract between the Loving-Kindness exercise and the Subtle-Mind exercise was somewhat different.  For example, during the Loving-Kindness exercise, we were to focus and actually “feel” various emotions like “bringing to the mind an individual (someone close to you) who you hold with great love and tenderness” and then next “shifting to thoughts, feelings and images that moved in and out of our awareness; those that were unpleasant and disturbing as well as those that were pleasing and welcomed” (Dacher p 68).  Although I make every effort to practice loving-kindness daily, that exercise was not too enjoyable for me because I did not want to think about negative thoughts.  With the Subtle-Mind exercise (although I preferred the literature instead of listening to the audio) we were asked to focus primarily on our breathing and stilling the mind in the process.  I had to really laugh at myself because I did try the Subtle-Mind exercise twice with the audio and fell asleep :).

To me, it is impossible to separate spiritual, mental and physical wellness because they all connect with the mind, body and spirit.  These connections have to manifest in my personal life because I’d go crazy with all the busyness of life—family, job, school and some many other added responsibilities.  Spiritually, I love to pray. Mentally, I love to stay peaceful and physically, I love to do some form of daily exercise. 

Wow.....this is the middle of the term!  My, how time flies.  I really like this class it has certainly given me a paradigm shift.  "Gotta" run......finishin' up my project :).

Peace and blessings always~
Patricia

 

1 comment:

  1. I felt the difference between the two. I went blank in the subtle mind exercise. I think I should have felt more, but I kinda felt safer under loving kindness. It is a territory I am familiar with. Maybe I need to get to know the exercise. You know try it as a routine exercise. I think I fell asleep too, but woke up to continue.

    ReplyDelete